Minister of Music - Job Opportunity
First Lutheran is a community of people of diverse ages, cultures, and traditions. Just as Jesus opened himself to all and, by implication, opened the reign of God to all, so we, the members of First Lutheran seek to do the same.
Our congregation is seeking a part-time Minister of Music to lead the music program at First Lutheran. The ideal candidate is a creative and experienced organist and pianist who can lead our small yet enthusiastic congregation in music for weekly worship services and special services throughout the year. We have beautiful, well-maintained instruments on site - a Baldwin grand piano and Rodgers 940 Electric Organ – and a dedicated music office with music library.
Music is a vital part of our community life. We seek a candidate who can nurture and support the musical talents of the congregation and develop new initiatives to grow our music ministry. In coordination with the Pastor, the Director of Music plans all aspects of worship music including hymns, liturgical music, and prelude and postlude selections, using both traditional and contemporary music from the Lutheran tradition. The Director of Music also coordinates musical volunteers for worship and special music and manages regular musical copyright licensing and reporting.
• Bachelor’s degree in music or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Competency with organ, piano, and other musical instruments used in worship (choral experience desirable but not required).
• Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written.
• The ability to work well with staff, volunteers, and congregational members of all ages.
• Experience with copyright reporting and requirements (familiarity with One License and/or CCLI a plus).
• Knowledge of liturgical practice and use of music in worship (experience in the Lutheran tradition desirable).
• Comfort with technology and incorporating musical elements into livestreamed services (experience with AV equipment and/or livestream equipment a plus).
We anticipate this position will begin at 6 hours per week and will include Sunday services as well as other special services throughout the church year. Opportunities to perform for weddings and funerals would be on an ad hoc basis, in addition to the base role. Continuing education funds, vacation time, and sick leave is provided. Remuneration is commensurate with experience and qualifications as outlined in the RCCO Table of Recommended Salaries (including the Vancouver cost of living adjustment). A full job description is available here.
We welcome applicants of all backgrounds regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation. First Lutheran is a Reconciling in Christ congregation and is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed and valued in this church. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to FLCVancouverCareers@gmail.com.
Application Deadline: November 1, 2022 or until position is filled.
A printable, PDF version of this notice is available here.